Eaton Rapids, MI, United States
Title: Manufacturing Technician
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Manages Others: No
Reports to: Plant Manager
Since 1965, Dowding has grown from a tool and die manufacturer to a leading edge, world-class manufacturer of metal stampings, fabrication, precision machined components, and assemblies. We capitalize on our rich manufacturing history and utilize Michigan’s engineering expertise to provide our customers the competitive advantage needed in today’s markets. At Dowding Industries, we utilize only the latest advanced processing methods and assembly technologies to deliver tomorrow’s solutions, today. Producing parts for automotive, railcar, defense and infrastructure sectors as well, we are helping bring Michigan back to the forefront of manufacturing! Dowding Industries is firmly committed to providing products and services which in all ways meet or exceed our customer’s requirements for delivery, quality and value.
Operation of various manufacturing machines. Must be comfortable with various operations and assignments or tasks. These may range from general housekeeping to operation of CNC milling and laser cutting machinery, press brakes, forming or straightening equipment, shipping and receiving activities, etc. Will be required to complete documentation necessary for recording daily parts produced, scrap, SPC, O.E.E., etc. Must demonstrate the ability to use various measuring devices such as micrometers, depth micrometers, calipers, and hole measuring devices. I.e. – go no go pins, taper and bore gauges, etc. Must be able to read and interpret “basic” blueprint drawings, set-up instructions, and inspection instructions, etc.
- Safely operate and maintain various tools and machinery.
- Meet or exceed production requirements targeting 85% OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness)
- Be part of continuous improvement efforts that show an impact with increased production rates and lowered scrap volumes within work area.
- Demonstrate basic skills in machine shop mathematics and blueprint reading and interpolation.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Complete quality, manufacturing O.E.E., and tracking paperwork
- Works with minimal supervision and direction.
- Maintain working area clean and organized at all times. This includes support of 5-S program.
- Responsible for all tools and equipment used in responsible cell. This will include any of the daily maintenance activities necessary to operate laser machinery.
- Coordinate personal training, breaks, etc., for minimal production interruption.
- Works closely with “Safety Coordinator” in the use of machine, material handling equipment, etc.
- Must be able to manage steel components up to 50 lbs.
- Works from simple drawings, process sheets, inspection and or customer specifications, and instructions from supervisor.
- Perform all inspection requirements. May include SPC charting.
- Operate machines or tooling as required and trained.
- Responsible for maintaining calibrated gauges utilized in the cell.
- Assists in training and instruction of other employees as requested.
- Participates in “continuous improvement” activities within the department.
- Will be required to move material to and from the cell. This will require training and certification for driving a Hi-Lo and operating overhead crane. Basic inspection skills for Hi-Lo and overhead crane will be required.
- Assemble boxes or containers as necessary for packaging of parts. Packing, weigh counting, labeling, etc.
- Other duties as needed/assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Overtime will be required from time to time.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Basic blueprint reading skills required.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Willingness to work in a team environment.
- Able to complete forms neatly and accurately.
Standing, walking, lifting, pulling and pushing, carrying, grasping, reaching, stooping and crouching, color determination, near acuity, speaking, listening
This work position is required to work in a manufacturing environment facility.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; toxic or caustic chemicals; and risk of electrical shock.
The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; extreme heat (non-weather) and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Dowding Industries, Inc. offers a Competitive Total Compensation Package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage (including spouse or domestic partner and children)
- Medical flexible spending account
- Life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- 401(k) retirement program
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
Dowding Industries Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the concept and practice of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment. We encourage qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.